- white vinegar
- stripping shampoo (baby shampoo, Prell, White Rain)
- NIX brand cream rinse (Permethrin lice treatment)
- metal lice comb (bought separately),Inomed for example
- (optional) magnifying reading glasses (helps to see the nits)
- Rinse hair with solution of ½ water and ½ vinegar over a sink, not in the shower or tub.
- Use a fine-tooth comb (metal lice comb) and meticulously go through the hair, pulling off the nits. This is very time-consuming.
- After this is done, wash hair with the stripping shampoo. Use no conditioners as these may protect the lice from treatment. Rinse and towel dry.
- Apply NIX brand cream to hair. Leave on the hair for at least 4 hours. The medication could be left on for up to 12 hours (or overnight). May cover with a shower cap.
- Rinse hair only with clear water. Do not use vinegar at this point- this may neutralize the Nix.
- Go through the hair with a comb again and let hair air dry. Do not use conditioners, mousse, or hair spray for awhile. Again, these may help protect the nits and lice from treatments.
- Comb through the child's wet hair every 2 days to look for and remove nits...
- RETREAT the hair with NIX in 7-10 days.
- Clean combs, brushes and hair accessories with Nix. Soak in bathroom sink and rinse with water.
- Change child's clothes after Nix treatment.
- Machine wash all clothing and bedding that have been in contact with infected person(s) in the past 3-4 days. Use hot water and hot dryer. Non-washables can be vacuumed.
- Vacuum everything that hair strands could fall on: rugs, furniture, car seats and car upholstery.
- Personal things that can't be washed or vacuumed can be tied up in plastic garbage bags for 2 weeks. Remember to keep bags out of children's reach!
- The use of environmental products (sprays etc) is NOT recommended.